Traditional medicine vs modern medicine

Started by League, Jul 31, 2022, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

League

Traditional medicine vs modern medicine has been a continuous debate for many decades. Traditional practitioners have historically shared their knowledge and experience freely — defining 'open-access' before the term even existed. Modern medicine, on the other hand, has stringent intellectual property laws and a highly evolved patenting system used to protect knowledge about drugs or medical techniques.

Since the invention of modern medicine, many people have not been ready to admit it as they have been listening and preaching the traditional medicine and its holistic methods using natural herbs and religious beliefs and all that. In fact, they have been using the same herbs for all kinds of symptoms, diseases and infections.

Traditional medicine is a medicine that has been used for the treatment for decades using specific theories, beliefs, knowledge, skill, and cultural traditions. According to WHO, traditional medicine is the sum total of the knowledge, skill, and practices based on the theories, beliefs, and experiences indigenous to different cultures, whether explicable or not, used in the maintenance of health, as well as in the prevention, diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness.

The examples of traditional medicines are Ayurvedic treatment by Asians, Homeopathy by Germans, Kampo medicine from Japanese and Naturopathy from Europeans. There are some rare traditional pharmacies nowadays as compared to the modern ones.

Some drugs or compounds isolated from Chinese herbal medicines which follow the traditional uses.

Plant Origin   Drugs or Compounds   Chemical Structures   Effects or Indications   Ancient Chinese Literature Recording Chinese Herbal Medicines with Same Effects and the Published Time
Artemisia annua L.   Artemisinin   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i001.jpg   Anti-malarial   Zhou Hou Bei Ji Fang (Jin Danasty, AD 266–420)
Corydalis yanhusuo W.T.Wang   Tetrahydropalmatine   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i002.jpg   Analgesic   Lei Gong Pao Zhi Lun (Nanchao Song Dynasty, AD 420–479)
Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort.   Tetramethyl-pyrazine   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i003.jpg   Mmyocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Paeonia lactiflora Pall.   Paeoniflorin   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i004.jpg   Analgesic   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Epimedium brevicornum Maxim.   Icariin   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i005.jpg   Osteoporosis   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Pueraria lobata (Willd.) Ohwi   Puerarin   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i006.jpg   Diabetes   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge   Salvianolic acid B   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i007.jpg   Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Uncaria rhynchophylla (Miq.) Jacks.   Rhynchophy-lline   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i008.jpg   Antihypertensive   Ming Yi Bie Lu (Nanchao Liang Dynasty, AD 502–557)
Saussurea lappa (Decne.) C.B. Clarke   Costunolide   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i009.jpg   Anti-gastric ulcer, antispasmodic   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Gastrodia dlata Bl.   Gastrodin   An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is molecules-21-00559-i010.jpg   Anti-convulsion, analgesic   Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing (Donghan Dynasty, AD 25–220)
Modern medicine is also called the alternative medicine because it was established as an alternative to the traditional medicine ways and beliefs. Modern medicine was invented to have standardized medicines after testing some specific medicines for some specific patients having some specific symptoms. Conventional modern medicine is sometimes called allopathic medicine. It involves the use of drugs or surgery, often supported by counseling and lifestyle measures. Alternative and complementary types of medicine include acupuncture, homeopathy, herbal medicine, art therapy, traditional Chinese medicine, and many more.

The main difference between traditional medicine and alternative medicine is the approach. Whereas traditional medicine treats symptoms and problems of a certain given area, alternative medicine focuses on cause and prevention, overall health, and non-traditional, often natural treatments. One of the most striking differences between traditional and modern medicines is the legal protection given to knowledge. Traditional practitioners have historically shared their knowledge and experience freely defining 'open-access' before the term even existed. Modern medicine, on the other hand, has stringent intellectual property laws and a highly evolved patenting system used to protect knowledge about drugs or medical techniques.
As Western researchers realize the wealth of knowledge stored in traditional medicine systems, and the need for new drugs becomes more urgent, many scientists have begun searching indigenous sources for new drugs: a term dubbed 'bioprospecting

Human history is also the history of medicines used to treat and prevent various diseases. To counter the danger from serious illnesses and to guarantee survival of the species, it is necessary to continually produce better drugs.

What are your thoughts about this debate?
Look closely, Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point-of-view.

TheMapleBeard

Didn't there used to be two schools of medicine in the 1900's? Allopathic (What we know now as Western Medicine) and Naturopathic Medicine. My understanding is that the two used to work in tandem with each other. The Naturopaths focused on a more preventive approach and the Allopathic dealt with the immediate issues. An example is, You break your arm you go to an Allopathic Doctor to set it/receive surgery and they give you some drugs for the pain, they then send you to the Naturopath who will then help guide the healing process to help with scar tissue and getting your range of motion back. At some point this connection broke and the focus was shifted to our Allopathic Docs.

League

Exactly. Yes interesting the break. Could that been do the influx of immigrants to the US and the European wars in the 1700s, 1800s, & 1900s. I wonder if those events created the break.
Look closely, Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point-of-view.

TheMapleBeard

From what I've heard the break happened with an influx of investment with pharmaceutical companies. I don't know if the thought was that if you can suppress the symptoms with pharmaceuticals you essentially "fixed" the persons problem. Where Naturopathic Medicine had more of a focus on what was causing those symptoms and how can we fix that issue.

Gh0sty

Recently I've become interested Royal Rife and his technological medicine AKA The Rife Machine. Apparently it uses frequencies to focus in on specific illness, such as bacterial infection. There's documentaries out there. What I do know is that in many hospitals in Europe, or at least Ukraine to my knowledge, has a one of these machines in every hospital. It's common medical knowledge there, and they credit the Soviets as inventing that.
-A Symbol for a Simple Mind-

League

Wow really at each hospital. That is interesting

TheMapleBeard

Healing with sound. I believe there is a thought that this is how some of the Egyptian Priests healed people. Not to mention that one room in the pyramids (I think) where it's tuned to a certain resonance. Also one thing to note is that Dr's and Nurses can still user percussion on their patients to help diagnose certain things,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_(medicine).

Is this kind of what you were talking about Gh0sty?

Healing with Ultrasound

Gh0sty

Gh0sty

League

Very cool and interesting way to perform healing. Amazing what modern medicine comes up with