Seven easy steps to Meditation

Started by League, Jul 25, 2022, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

League

Seven easy steps to Meditation

1. Sit upright comfortably
If you're like me and you try to meditate while lying down, you'll fall asleep. Instead, sit in a comfortable chair with an upright back, get a meditation cushion, or fold a pillow and sit cross-legged on it, which will help support your back.

2. Breathe deeply
Ah, the breath, the wonderful breath. It's our ANCHOR to the present moment and a tool available at all times. Start by taking 10 deep breaths and counting to five during each exhale and inhale.

Allow your lungs to fill up as you inhale and then slowly exhale through your nose, allowing your shoulders to drop. Repeat.

3. Gently close your eyes
If you're not doing so already, I suggest closing your eyes to help you focus. It's easy to give our mind an excuse to wander when we are staring at our laundry that needs to be done.

4. Slowly scan your body, and notice any sensations
It's an opportunity to check in with your body which is an effective way to bring you into the present moment. Start by focusing on your feet and moving up to the top of your head.

Notice if there is tension anywhere, and if there is, consciously send breath in the direction of that body part.

5. Be aware of any thoughts you are having
Do you ever get stuck overthinking? Here's a chance to notice your thoughts WITHOUT getting roped in by them. Imagine each thought is like a cloud in the sky and you're watching them go by.

Notice what thoughts are present, Allow each thought to come up, and pass by, without any judgment or attachment.

6. When your mind wanders, focus on your breath
When your mind wanders, which it will, come home to your breath. Your breath is the the number one tool to help you stay grounded, connected and focused in the moment. When you focus on your breathing, your heart rate slows down, your mind begins to quiet and your body can relax.

7. Gently open your eyes when you are ready
I suggest practicing meditation for 5-10 minutes in the beginning. The best time of day to do it is in the morning
Look closely, Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point-of-view.