China says it may have picked up alien signals

Started by League, Jul 31, 2022, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

League

Chinese scientists said the country's massive Sky Eye telescope may have picked up signals of an alien civilization, Business Insider reported. But there is still much due diligence left to be done.

According to a report published in the state-backed Science and Technology Daily on Tuesday, Beijing Normal University researchers discovered "several cases of possible technological traces and extraterrestrial civilizations from outside the earth." The researchers utilized the only giant single-dish radio telescope left in the world, China's 500-meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST), to make the discovery. Cosmologist Zhang Tongjie told Science and Technology Daily that the telescope had located "several narrow-band electromagnetic signals different from the past."

"The possibility that the suspicious signal is some kind of radio interference is also very high, and it needs to be further confirmed and ruled out," she said. "This may be a long process."

As reported by Bloomberg, the initial Science and Technology Daily report was later removed from the website, which is run by China's science and technology ministry. It is still unclear why the report was removed, as the news was later picked up by other state-run Chinese sources.

The possibilities are exciting no matter what the source turns out to be.

TheMapleBeard

As much as I would love for this information to be true, I'm not going to hold my breath until the due diligence has been done like you said. Maybe I just have my tinfoil hat on, but when it comes to disclosure I'm not so sure the Governments of the World would be the ones to announce it. But it is interesting to see more Government reports on UFO's coming out. Maybe stranger times are ahead.

League

I know right, i would love to see the data.

here is an update from Newsweek on the story

The scientists involved in the research have now clarified to Newsweek that they definitely have not found evidence of alien life and that the radio signals detected were from Earth.

Zhang Tongjie, a Chinese extraterrestrial intelligence expert at Beijing Normal University who took part in the research has now told Newsweek: "I did not say it was an extraterrestrial (ET) signal. These signals are from radio interference; they are due to radio pollution from Earthlings, not from ET. The technical term we use is 'RFI'—Radio frequency interference. RFI can come from cell phones, TV transmitters, radar, satellites, as well as electronics and computers near the observatory that produce weak radio transmissions."

Dan Werthimer, a radio astronomy expert at the Astronomy Department and Space Sciences Lab at the University of California, Berkeley, who also took part in the study, told Newsweek: "These signals are definitely radio interference, and not ET."

Gh0sty

There's a great example of how the media will inflate a story with clickbait and speculatory claims.
-A Symbol for a Simple Mind-

League

I know right. Well maybe one day it will be something.

TheMapleBeard

It is true, Do headlines that sell not headlines that don't. At the same time, could you take this as another Roswell? Report gets leaked/released of the event saying that hey this is true, then Government steps in and says "Nothing to see here, move along, it's just a swamp gas".

League

So true. The world we live in. Headlines sell