Egypt finds 250 new mummies

Started by League, Jul 31, 2022, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

League

Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered five well-preserved and colorfully decorated tombs, dating to around 4,200 years ago, that were dug beside a pyramid at Saqqara, the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities announced in a statement.

The latest discoveries, including about 250 still-sealed sarcophagi, came from the "Cemetery of Sacred Animals" at Saqqara, Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told CBS News. There have now been more than 450 decorated, sealed coffins containing mummies in good condition discovered at the cemetery, all of them dating back some 2,500 years.

Very cool discovery.

Look closely, Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point-of-view.

TheMapleBeard

That's pretty awesome! Do you think they'll open any of the sarcophagi up?

Gh0sty

I say leave the dead where they lay! How would you feel if in 1,000 years people were digging up your family and friends?
-A Symbol for a Simple Mind-

League

I find we find answers to the past and our future from studying the past and how people lived and died.
Look closely, Seeing is believing, but is it truth? Depends on your point-of-view.

TheMapleBeard

@Gh0sty  I say it's better to disturb and learn and put on display for everyone to see, than have grave robbers take and sell on the black market and only have a very select few be able to learn and appreciate it.

Gh0sty

I guess the lesser evil is the best, yes.

TheMapleBeard

I always suppose you could go old school and just have a curse placed on your grave for anyone who disturbs it if you really wanted to be left undisturbed.

Gh0sty

This is exactly one of the reasons why I want to be cremated.

League

yeah i tend to agree with you there

TheMapleBeard

If I could afford a neat Tomb I'd probably build one. Open my Tomb if you dare...

League

Me too. I want a sphinx in mine

League